WELCOME TO THE ROCKMASS WEBSITEFOR INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION IN THE FIELDS OF
- ENGINEERING GEOLOGY
- ROCK MECHANICS
- ROCK ENGINEERING AND DESIGN
Some Published Papers
Various papers on rock engineering, design and construction. From time to time, additional papers or summary of papers will be presented. The papers (in pdf-format) cover the following items:
1. Swelling clays in seams and faults:
- Stability problems in tunnels caused by seams and zones with swelling clay and a method to measure the swelling activity and pressure of the swelling material
2. Hydropower planning and construction, and experience : (see also the tag ‘Some designs‘ )
- The engineering geological planning and design of the 110 MW Tjodan power plant with an unlined pressure shaft with 950m head located in gneiss excavated by TBM.
- Seminars on hydropower planning and development, arranged by the Norwegian Export Council in Spain (1989), presented in Spanish and in India (1990)
- The paper “The Design of Unlined Tunnels and Shafts – 100 years of Norwegian experience” gives a state-of-the-art on the application of unlined waterways and recommendation on maintenance.
3. Various items:
- Case histories in the design and construction of underground structures.
- Engineering geology applied in the planning of the Lyse one-lane road tunnel
- The concept study of the Petromine project: 50km long undersea tunnels from the shore to the Troll oilfield for bringing the oil on shore.
- Oslo, the capital city of Norway has numerous tunnels and caverns in rock as shown in two papers describing “The Oslo underground” and “The use of the underground in Oslo”
- A paper on how engineering geology is practised in Norway
- The paper Rock engineering and tunnelling – A Nordic appoach describes the whole sequence from investigation through design to tunnel construction, including water sealing by grouting.
Several papers on Undersea tunnels and on Unlined pressure tunnels are presented under the tag ‘Some designs‘.